This book is written by Thom Rainer entitled “Becoming a Welcoming Church.” As with the last book I will be adding a chapter a day for us to consider. I am in no way saying our church or your church if you are reading this is not welcoming – just something to think about. I am capitalizing the chapter sections.
This is part two of chapter 2. “Confidential Report – For Your Eyes Only.”
This was a surprise to me. He said “about seven out of ten guests told us they did not return because were to friendly. Some mentioned the ‘stand and greet” while others mentioned it was an issue all over the church. ‘
Justin said, “I came away from the visit to the church the people were allover us, they seemed desperate to get us.” Rainer says this was a common point from people who did not return. For some it came across as desperate or disingenuous.
Many of them really desire to see if the church is a place for them and their families. Some of these guests were not Christians and struggling with their faith, a clear indication of the work of the Holy Spirit in their lives.
Many guests expressed lack of clarity about next steps, where can they get information about the church? What are the next steps to becoming a part of the church? What are some ministries that impact them? They simply want to know “what is next?”
He says if we want our church to be a truly welcoming church it will take prayerful effort to do the things he advocates in his book.
POINTS TO PONDER
- Review each of the surprises listed which one surprises you the most?
- What are ways your church can answer the question “What’s next?” to our guests.
- Look at Hebrews 13: 2 “Don’t neglect to show hospitality, for by doing this some have entertained angels without knowing it.”
- Read 1 Peter 4:9 “be hospitable to one another without complaining.” What is the significance of the last two words: “without complaining?
- What can you do personally to make guests feel more welcomed just prior to the beginning of the worship service?’